Saturday, August 3, 2013

Why Surrogacy?

I have slowly been telling my family and close friends that I want to be a surrogate. And the first thing they ask is "Why?". I know pretty soon once the journey gets further along more people will find out and be curious about "Why?" also. So I decided to make a blog post about it since its not just a simple answer.

I have 2 beautiful, healthy, amazing children of my own. The perfect pair. One boy and one girl. Brett and Brynna. They are my world. My universe. My life. I cannot imagine my life without them. Yes I had kids early and they were unexpected but they were unexpected miracles. I look at my children sometimes and can get a little emotional. I made them. Yes with Adams help but I made them, I carried them for 9 months with no complications and not a lot of people can do that.
You hear stories how a married couple has been trying to get pregnant for so many years and still nothing. No pregnancy. Nothing. Then you hear stories about how the wife just can't stay pregnant. Every time she ends up miscarrying. It's heartbreaking. But then what about same sex couples who can't get pregnant and adoption is made so hard for them? Why shouldn't they be allowed to have children? Just because they are gay doesn't mean they can't care for a child. Any one of these couples would make great parents, gay or straight, but for some reason their body cannot make or carry a child.  So they turn to surrogacy. I am able to help someone make their baby. I am able to give someone a little tiny miracle. A life. A blessing. These past few weeks I have been reading stories how some of these women have been surrogates 6 times! And have children of their own. Now I love being pregnant but I don't think I could be a surrogate 6 times. But I give them major props! That's likes 8 times being pregnant if we decide to have no more children!!! My wish is to be a surrogate twice. MAYBE three times if one of the IP's(intended parents) wants to do a sibling journey with me. But we will see when we get there. But these women are amazing! I have cried reading so many birthing stories and even the matching process. Its such a selfless thing for them to do. Not many women can become surrogates. Their are many requirements that can disqualify you and a lot of them are things that are out of your control.

I also LOVED being pregnant. With Brynna I didn't like it as much but it still wasnt as bad as most people make it out to be. I didn't get morning sickness. I wasn't that hormonal or emotional. I didn't want to kill Adam 90% of the time. I didn't hate being fat(I didn't even think I was fat I just thought of myself as being pregnant haha). I slept fine until the last few weeks whenever everything was uncomfortable haha. I honestly enjoy being pregnant. Now this will be my 3rd pregnancy and I have heard each pregnancy gets more and more uncomfortable. So we will see. But I'm also young which in the long run can benefit me. I know I'm not as skinny as I used to be and didn't bounce back as fast after Brynna like I did with Brett but with me being young it is a tad bit easy for me to get back into shape compared to someone 10-20 years older than me. A lot of y'all may be thinking well why not have another child? Yes we could have another child but right now we don't want to have any more kids.

So those are my main reasons. In a few days or weeks I will do a F.A.Q. post and answer some of the main questions people ask. I know not every one will agree with my decision of becoming a surrogate and I'm okay with that. I hope you enjoyed reading and understand a little better why I want to be a surrogate.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment